Assignment: Photographing the Bridge




Sample photos from an assignment where we were instructed to photograph Lethbridge's well-known viaduct/bridge from our own perspective.

I went up close to the bridge, hoping to get a different perspective other than the ones commonly seen on Lethbridge post cards. I was attracted to the shadows created by the beams of the bridge, and as I looked through the viewfinder I found myself focusing on the juxtaposition of man versus nature. It felt like these steel beams were imposing their force on the landscape, and this made me reflect on industrialization. Hence, the name "bridging the gap" was considering the gap between the natural and the man made. 


Bridging the Gap. Black and white photographs on Ilford glossy. Bridge Assignment for Photo-Arts I & II. February 2008. University of Lethbridge, Alberta.

Comments